Job Title: Software Engineer
FLSA Status: Full-Time/Exempt
Date: June 7, 2023
Manager: ED Bioinformatics
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Job Code: BSB-23-005
BlueSphere Bio was founded to deploy its novel TCXpress technology to unlock the potential of personalized T cell therapy for cancer treatment by harnessing the unique specificity of each patient’s T cells for the molecular fingerprint of each patient’s cancer.
Our trailblazing, proprietary TCXpress platform is an elegant, rapid approach that exploits the patient’s immune defenses to attack their cancer specifically and is designed to leave normal tissues untouched, thereby reducing harmful side effects.
The TCXpress platform and its implementation will allow us to deliver rapid, personalized T cell treatments for various cancer indications.
Bluesphere Bio is seeking a motivated Software Engineer who will be a part of bioinformatics team to support developing bioinformatics applications which will be used by Bluesphere Bio scientists.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing, maintaining, and improving web-based bioinformatics pipeline and data management platform.
- Containerization (docker) of the bioinformatics tools and pipeline engineering using workflow languages such as Nextflow.
- Working with bioinformatics scientist/engineer to design and construct bioinformatics databases.
- Designing and developing APIs to integrate BSB in-house bioinformatics application.
- Supporting bioinformatics team by deploying/executing bioinformatics pipeline to AWS/on-premises HPC.
- Software version control using github.
Qualifications and Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field
- Proven knowledge of basic coding languages such as Python and/or Java script
- Detail-oriented and goal-oriented
- Proficient in *nix operation system
- Able to adapt to a fast-paced work environment
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Desire to try new approaches and tools
- 2 year of work experience in software or web development
- Experience in source code version control (Git, bitbucket)
- Experience in containerization such as Docker etc
- Understanding of workflow languages such as NextFlow, CWL or WDL
- Understanding of software development life cycle.
- Understanding of database management system (RDBMS, Mongodb)
- Experience in HPC and cloud computing (AWS, Azure)
- Experience with implementing UI using next.js framework and Typescript.
- Experience with JIRA and Confluence
Physical and Mental Requirements
- You will be expected to occasionally (1% to 20% of the time):
- Climb stairs, ramps, ladders. Etc.
- Stoop/crouch by bending your legs or bending down/forward at the waist
- Reach by extending the hands/arms
- Lift objects from one level to another (30 lbs. or less)
- Carry objects (30 lbs. or less)
- Travel (<5%)
- You will be expected to frequently (21% to 50% of the time):
- Walk around the facility on foot
- Stand on your feet
- You will be expected to constantly (at least 51% of the time):
- Sit in a normal seated position
BlueSphere Bio is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and offers employment opportunities to all qualified persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability (except where physical or mental abilities are a bona fide occupational requirement), veteran status, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, HIV-positive status, possession of the sickle cell trait, genetic characteristics, political views, and any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.