Job Title: Laboratory Technician
FLSA Status: Full-Time/Exempt
Date: February 1, 2023
Manager: Senior Scientist
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Job Code: BIO-23-002
BlueSphere Bio was founded to deploy its novel TCXpress technology to unlock the potential of personalized T cell therapy for the treatment of cancer by harnessing the unique specificity of each patient’s T cells for the molecular fingerprint of each patient’s cancer.
Our trailblazing, proprietary TCXpress platform is an elegant, rapid approach that exploits the patient’s immune defenses to attack their cancer specifically and is designed to leave normal tissues untouched, thereby reducing harmful side effects.
The TCXpress platform and its implementation will deliver rapid, personalized T-cell treatments for various cancer indications.
We are seeking a talented and motivated Research Technician with experience in immunology or oncology to join the TumorXtract team at BlueSphere Bio. The primary role of this position will be to assist in the isolation of tumor cells, immune cells, and nucleic acids from primary human specimens to identify novel neoantigen-specific TCRs. This is a unique opportunity to be involved in the initiation step of the TCX-201 program. Preference will be given to individuals with experience working with primary human or murine tissues. Demonstrated knowledge of basic tissue culture, DNA isolation, and flow cytometry is strongly preferred. The ideal candidate will have a track record of multitasking and is expected to work cooperatively as well as semi-independently within the TumorXtract team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the TumorXtract team in the isolation and characterization of tumor and immune cells from primary human samples
- Use sterile culture techniques and cell sorting (including at the single-cell level) to isolate and expand T cells to identify neoantigen-specific CD8s
- Nucleic Acid isolation and basic DNA analyses (including PCR)
- Tumor cell immunoculture
- Development and implementation of coculture assays to identify and validate novel t-cell-neoantigen pairs
- Characterize cells using multiparameter flow cytometry and subsequent data analysis
- Maintain accurate sample and laboratory records, including human tissue and cell line biobanking. Using LIMS, record and analyze data of processed samples
- Organize and conduct assigned studies semi-independently, following and adhering to current experimental protocols
- Work well with other teams to coordinate cell and tissue isolation on tumor processing days
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Work Experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Immunology, Oncology, or Cell Biology or equivalent experience required, with >2 years of working experience preferred
- Demonstrated proficiency in basic tissue culture techniques
- Experience working with murine or human tissue prefered
- Hands-on experience with multi-parameter Flow Cytometry and data analysis is preferred but not required
- Experience with nucleic acid isolation and PCR prefered
- Basic cell culture techniques
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel are required. Experience with PRISM and FlowJo are an asset
- Efficiency and organization, with the ability to adhere to timelines and milestones
- Demonstrated ability to identify issues and troubleshoot as necessary
Physical and Mental Requirements
- You will be expected to occasionally (1% to 20% of the time):
- Climb stairs, ramps, ladders. Etc.
- Stoop/crouch by bending your legs or bending down/forward at the waist
- Reach by extending the hands/arms
- Lift objects from one level to another (30 lbs. or less)
- Carry objects (30 lbs. or less)
- Travel (<5%)
- You will be expected to frequently (21% to 50% of the time):
- Walk around the facility on foot
- Stand on your feet
- You will be expected to constantly (at least 51% of the time):
- Sit in a normal seated position
- Occasional part-time weekend work (1-15% of the time) may be required
BlueSphere Bio is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and offers employment opportunities to all qualified persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability (except where physical or mental abilities are a bona fide occupational requirement), veteran status, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, HIV-positive status, possession of the sickle cell trait, genetic characteristics, political views, and any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Please send a cover letter to apply for this position (including job code) and a CV/Resume. Internal candidates interested in this opportunity should submit their CV/Resume within 2 weeks of the posting date above and explain why you are interested in this position.