Job Title: Automation Engineer
FLSA Status: Full-Time/Exempt
Date: December 13, 2022
Manager: SD, Immunology
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Job Code: BIO-22-039
BlueSphere Bio was founded to deploy its novel TCXpress technology to unlock the potential of personalized T cell therapy for the treatment of cancer by harnessing the unique specificity of each patient’s T cells for the molecular fingerprint of each patient’s cancer.
Our trailblazing, proprietary TCXpress platform is an elegant, rapid approach that exploits the patient’s immune defenses to attack their cancer specifically and is designed to leave normal tissues untouched, thereby reducing harmful side effects.
The TCXpress platform and its implementation will deliver rapid, personalized T cell treatments for various cancer indications.
The Automation Engineer will maintain automation and develop SOPs for our high throughput TCR screening platform. The engineer will create and run test programs for biological assays supporting TCR screening campaigns. The engineer would assist in: writing programs using scheduling software, analyzing and validating execution results, and optimizing workflows to ensure efficiency. The Automation Engineer will join a team performing diverse functions, supporting the automation and implementation of biological assays.
- Liquid handling and automation integration
- LIMS management
- Lead the investigation of atypical events to determine the root cause
- Work on developing new methods that will increase throughput and enhance reproducibility
- Maintain automation and develop SOPs for liquid handlers and other integrated devices
- Work with scientists to automate protocols
- Proficiency in creating and running automated test programs for robotic systems containing both liquid handling devices and laboratory equipment
- Analyzing and validating execution results
- Bachelor’s Degree in any of the following: Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering
- Bachelor’s Degree in a scientific discipline is acceptable if some coding education or training is exhibited
- At least one year of using scheduling software is required (e.g. Thermo Scientific™ Momentum™ Workflow Scheduling Software, Green Button Go Scheduler, CellarioTM)
- Experience using relational databases is strongly preferred
- Knowledgeable in RESTful API development is strongly preferred
- Experience with automated liquid handlers is an advantage (e.g. Biomek i7, Tecan, PIPETMAX, Microlab VANTAGE)
- Experience in .net programming is a plus
- Working knowledge of IP networking is a plus
- Java and Python proficiency is required
- SQL and XML proficiency is preferred
Physical and Mental Requirements
- You will be expected to occasionally (1% to 20% of the time):
- Climb stairs, ramps, ladders. Etc.
- Stoop/crouch by bending your legs or bending down/forward at the waist
- Reach by extending the hands/arms
- Stand on your feet
- Lift objects from one level to another (30 lbs. or less)
- Carry objects (30 lbs. or less)
- Travel (negligible)
- You will be expected to frequently (21% to 50% of the time):
- Walk around the facility on foot
- You will be expected to constantly (at least 51% of the time):
- Sit in a normal seated position
BlueSphere Bio is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and offers employment opportunities to all qualified persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability (except where physical or mental abilities are a bona fide occupational requirement), veteran status, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, HIV-positive status, possession of the sickle cell trait, genetic characteristics, political views, and any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.